Elizabeth Torres, Bogota, Colombia, 1987.
Poet, multi-media Artist, speaker and translator. Founder and director of Red Door Magazine, New York, 2009 and currently director of Red Door Gallery in Copenhagen, where she resides. Poet in residence of Kean University, where Torres studied Media & Film (Broadcast) and Fine Arts. Current Coordinator of Red Door Collective, Copenhagen. Music project: Eyelids Burn. Electric Set. Moon Mountain. Other projects: Neverstop. >7000 Nordic Literatures in Change and Exchange. Focus and main interests: Collaboration projects with art collectives and galleries, multi-media art collaborations, curating exhibitions and organizing art events that intertwine communities and art forms.
Currently presenting “Atemporal” a poetry selection in Spanish and English published in NY in 2015. “Edad de Sol” (Age of the Sun), was published in New York and presented in the Mexican Book Fair (Ayuntamiento) in 2011 as well as in a tour of Oaxaca and the US. In 2010, Torres joined Morgan O’Hara in creating the art documentation and performative drawing project Live Transmission in Macau and Hong Kong, during the frame of the Macao Fringe Festival. Her previous book, “Anatomia de la Arcilla Incoherente” with a prologue by Jairo Anibal Niño, was presented in Mexico, China and the US during the fall of 2010. In 2008-09 Torres traveled to Europe and South America to work with universities, schools and non-profits, in a series of poetry workshops, interactive performances and object-book classes. “Preguntas sin Respuesta” was awarded Best Book of Poetry of the Year by the Colombian Book Chamber in 2000. Elizabeth was also the winner of the Daimler Chrysler’s Spirits in the Words poetry contest and American Eagle Outfitter’s Live Your Life Role Model for the US and Canada. Elizabeth Torres is a member of the Art Students League of New York. Art work has been exhibited in Colombia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Spain, Portugal, France, Copenhagen and the United States. Her work focuses on social justice, creative expression, artistic exchanges, and world-threading.
Elizabeth is currently working on her upcoming book: “Cuerpos de Agua y los Espacios Intermedios” (Bodies of Water and the Spaces in Between), and “To Enter and Exit through the Memory of the Living”.
- Atemporal, Bilingual poetry selection, New York 2015
- Street Light Visions (alucinación a cuatro tiempos), bilingual poetry book,
(H)onda Nómada Ediciones, México, 2012
- Edad de Sol, poemario, New York 2011
- Anatomía de la Arcilla Incoherente, (Anatomy of the Incoherent Clay) Poetry, 2010, USA. Prologue by Jairo Anibal Niño, Colombia.
- Distortions in Red, Poetry 2010, Limited Edition, NY
- How to catch a Public Belief, Poetry CD, 2010 Limited Edition, NY
- Des-instrucción improvisada: Re-programación gramatical y teórica, Poetry, 2009, Object Book, limited Edition, USA
- Poesía a varios tiempos, Poetry CD, 2009, NY
• De amor, desamor y otros infortunios: Porque la vida es bastante moralista los lunes por la mañana, Poetry, Object Book, 2008, USA
- Because the Flame is Alive, Prose and Poetry, 2007, US and Canada (Bilingual Edition) – Sponsored by American Eagle Outfitters and published in the US and Canada.
- Pacto del Girasol, poetry, 2004, USA
• Semillas de Paz, 2000, CD de poesía, Miami, USA
• Alas de Papel, Poetry. Editorial Educar, 1999. Prologue by Fernando Soto Aparicio, Colombia.
• Preguntas sin Respuesta, Ministerio de Cultura, Colombia – Poetry, 1998. “Best Book of Poetry of the year”-Award by the Colombian Book Chamber. Prologue by Jotamario Arbelaez, Colombia. (5 editions published, more than 12,000 books sold).
• La Mariposa y Bogotá, Short Stories, Colombia, 1998
• Tesoro del Alma, Audio Cassette, Colombia 1998
• Una Niña, Audio Cassette, Colombia 1997
• Gatos Soñadores, Poetry, 1997, Object Book, Costa Rica and Colombia, Limited Edition
- Las aventuras del camaleón, Short Stories, Colombia, 1996
Anderson Hotel, Copenhagen, DK 2016
Rigshospitalet solo exhibition, 2015 Dates to be announced.
“Lucid Screaming” Æter, Copenhagen, 2014
“To Enter and Exit Through the Memory of the Living”, Rummet, Copenhagen, 2014
“ “, collective show, Berlin 2014
“Revolution” Texas Firehouse, LIC NY, 2011
“Bushwick’s Open Studios” Brooklyn, NY 2011 (Lakapana Video Installation)
“Confessions (Auto confesiones)” Make the Road, Queens NY 2011
“Let the Lover Be” Public Assembly, Bklyn, NY, 2010
“Hell’s Kitchen Weekend Art Festival”, Times Square Center NY, 2010
“Art Talk” A Steamin’ Pipes show at Hiccup Media, LIC NY, 2009
“Coleccion Arte Latinoamericano” Ravel Gallery & Hotel, LIC NY 2009 – Present
“The Call of Life”, Broadway & LRC Galleries, PCC NJ, 2004
“Pieces of Life” Sol Gallery, Coconut Grove, Miami, 2000
PERFORMANCES, SCREENINGS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Runokuu Poetry Festival, “Futurible”, Helsinki, Finland 2016
Festival Latinoamericano de Literatura, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2015
Kælderlæsninger Poetry Series, Islands Brygge Bibliotek, Copenhagen, DK, 2015
Video Screenings by expoesía collective, Bilbao, November 2014, as part of the Expoesía 2014 Biennal.
Video Screening of “Distintos Espantos” at The Americas Film Festival, The City College of New York, June 2014
“No Surprises” collective video exhibition, Rummet, August 2014
The Armory Show, New York 2012
Poetas Latinos en NY, Feria del Libro Palacio de Minería, México 2012
Poe-See-Ah Poetry in Translation, Queens Museum of Art, 2012
“Neverstop”, Electric Set, on-going series, USA 2011
“Poetry in Translation” Queens Council of the Arts, NY 2012
“Mujeres Poetas en el País de las Nubes”, Oaxaca, México, 2011
“Serie de Lecturas”, Barco de Papel, NY 2011
“Encuentro Internacional de Poetas” Michoacán, Mexico, 2010
“New York Book Expo”, Queens Museum, NY 2009-Present
“Encuentro de Poetas en la Isla” Puerto Rico, 2009
“24 Hour Performance Marathon”, Poetas en NY, New York 2008
“Freshmen Orientation Ceremony”, Keynote Speaker, Kean University, 2008-2009
“Book Release performance series” Paris, Spain, Dublin, 2007
“Extreme Entrepreneurship Tour”, US, 2008- Present
Other speaking engagements include Unesco and UNICEF poetry readings, Verizon, Daimler Chrysler, Johnson and Johnson and workshops at universities and schools such as Georgetown, Franklyn and Marshall, La Guardia Community College, and Rutgers, as well as more than 100 interviews given to English & Spanish speaking media in the US and abroad.
Bi-monthly articles and chronicles for Red Door Magazine, NY, 2009-present
•Kælderlæsninger. A selection of poets by Islands Brygge Bibliotek, CPH 2014
L.U.P.I La Unica Puerta a la Izquierda, Publishing House & Magazine, Spain, 2011
Poesía Sin Fronteras, Antología, Mi Cielo Ediciones, México 2011
XVI Encuentro Internacional De Poetas, Michoacan, Zamora, Mexico, 2010
Young People who Rock Feature, CNN’s Headline News, 2009
Keeping the Flame Alive, Retire at 21, USA 2008
Spirits in the Words Anthology, Daimler Chrysler Corp, 2004
Mujeres Poetas en el Pais de las Nubes, Antologia Coleccion Vidzu, Mexico 2001
Letras de Paz, Antologia, UNESCO, 2000
Poet in Residence, Kean University, New Jersey, 2009-2010
Cultural Ambassador of the City of Elizabeth, NJ, 2009
Live your Life Role Model – Award Winner, American Eagle Outfitters, US & Canada, 2006
Spirits in the Words 1st prize Poetry Winner, Daimler Chrysler Corp, 2004
Policarpa Salaviarrieta, Grado de la Gran Cruz, Asamblea de Cundinamarca, Colombia 2000
Best Book of Poetry of the year, Colombian Book Chamber, Colombia 2000
Red Door Magazine, New York, 2009 – Present
Red Door Gallery, Copenhagen, 2014 – Present.
Project Neverstop , 2011 – present.
Steamin’ Pipes, Art Collective, LIC New York, 2008 – 2010
Poetas en Nueva York Art Collective, NY, 2007 – Present
Talents Association, NJ/NY, 2005- 2009
Cove-Rincon International, Art Collective, Miami, 2000 – 2004